The 100th Annual Minnesota AWWA Conference took place Sept. 20-23 at the Duluth Entertainment & Convention Center. Governor Mark Dayton declared September 22nd to be Minnesota Water Works Day.
The conference began with a day of charitable events (clay shooting, golfing, fishing) to raise funds for Water For People. Overall, 2016 MN AWWA events have raised $35,335 for Water For People and the Education Endowment. At the Convention alone, there was a record number of participants:
- 75 fishermen on 13 boats
- 50 clay shooters
- 104 golfers
We are proud to announce that the City of St. Cloud was the 2016 Best In Glass taste test award winner for best tasting water in the state. St. Cloud’s drinking water also was selected as the 2016 People’s Choice at the Minnesota State Fair. The City of St. Cloud’s award winning water will represent Minnesota at the American Water Works Association national conference next June in Philadelphia.
New Section Positions
- Pete Moulton, the Director of Public Water Works for the City of St. Peter, was elected to the position of Section Director
- David Brown from the Metropolitan Council was elected as the Section Chair
- Carol Blommel Johnson - George Warren Fuller Award
- This award is presented annually by the American Water Works Association to the sections' respective selected members for their distinguished service to the water supply field in commemoration of the sound engineering skill, the brilliant diplomatic talent, and the constructive leadership which characterized the life of George Warren Fuller.
- Myron Volker - Leonard N. Thompson Award
- This award is presented annually to one member for their distinguished service to the water supply field in commemoration of Leonard N. Thompson, past General Manager of the St. Paul Water Utility for nearly 34 years.
- Uma Vempati - Andrew Sullivan Outstanding Leadership Award
- Scott Fronek - Jon Eaton Excellence in Volunteering Award
- This award is to recognize and honor an individual AWWA member who has advanced AWWA through his/her volunteer time and efforts and has been a support to AWWA staff.